STUCK ON HOMEWORK?
ASK FOR HELP FROM OUR KIASUPARENTS.COM COMMUNITY!
Can you advise what are the key concepts/rules required for this logarithm topic?
My kid can’t fully understand.
Logarithms are essentially a reverse engineering of expressing powers/exponentials. It is difficult to explain over text so I would recommend that your daughter watch the following videos which do a good job of breaking the key concepts down. That said, I assume she already has a good foundation in basic algebraic manipulation and indices rules learnt in E-Maths which are necessary to solve or simplify most logarithm questions for her level.
- Intro to logarithms
- Evaluating logarithms
- Relationship between logarithms and exponentials
- e and compound interest
Key logarithm rules
- log a (b) = x, ax = b (Intro to logarithms)
- log a (xy) = log a (x) + log a (y) (Using the logarithm product rule)
- log a (x/y) = log a (x) – log a (y)
- log a (bx)= x log a (b) (Using the logarithm power rule)
- log a (b) = log a / log b (Using the logarithm change of base rule)
- log e (a) = In (a)
Thanks for the advice.