Should buy electronic dictionary with translation function?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Should buy electronic dictionary with translation function?

Postby octopusmum » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:36 pm

HI

am thinking of getting an electronic dictionary, Besta model (the most expensive one selling at $700 plus ) with translation function. but not sure if it is worth the investment. currently, they r having national day promotion at $535. dh thought i am crazy to want to spend that kind of $ on a dictionary when i can actually buy an ipad (maybe). but kids cannot bring ipad to school but can bring an electronic dictionary.

thks for any advice/feedback

octopusmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MMM » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:07 pm

We bought the besta dictonary at the beginning of GSS. We like it for the following :
1) Able to do translation
2) Able to pronounce the words

We encourage the kids to use the dictonary whenever they come across a word they don't know. We also asked them to listen to the pronunciation to learn how to pronunce it.

One watchout if you are buying. Make sure they provide the charger. We had an unpleasant experience with that. We went close to closing hour and when we reach home could not find the charger. When we went back the next day, they were very rude and refused to give us a new charger. We were very upset as why would we want to "steal" a charger :? We asked to speak to their manager and the manager refused to speak to us though he/ she is on the phone. Even claim it's after office hour. I was really pissed at the service level and wonder how such companies survive with such staff around :x

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ksme » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:09 pm

Only certain model can be used for exams (Paper 1 compo). I think there are only 2 models, 1 is Besta 1 is Creative. These are the cheap ones not exceeding $40. Buying the really expensive one is more for normal daily use.

Our DS tends to be very forgetful and keeps losing things. There was no way we would let him bring the expensive electronic dictionary to school. In the end, we settled for the cheap ones which are allowed to be brought into exam hall. The salesperson can tell you which one. DS brings this to school everyday and use it in class. Good practice for him so he knows how to look for the words if really need to during exams.

For home use, iPad may be good alternative too as there are many good dictionary applications in the iPhone world. I have 1 of Chinese dictionary app loaded into my iPhone and it serves us well when we need to do homework.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth. Hopefully it helps you.

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby octopusmum » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:21 am

ds already has the creative dictionary which he brings to school everyday and of course, during exams. he said several classmates have the other more sophisticated dictionaries which can do translation. they use those dictionaries in class and can check on words immediately..but i wonder if they really have time to do that during lesson time....
anyway, re the phone applications, do they work exactly like the electronic dictionary ie we can key in a word in chinese and they can explain the meaning in english? and vice versa? and also do translation plus giving egs of the word usage? i don't have a smart phone so don't know how these applications work...
as for bringing an expensive dictionary to school, so far, ds has been careful with his belongings so i am not that worried

octopusmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ksme » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:54 am

The app I have allows us to key in pinyin or chinese character to get english meaning or key in english word to get chinese characters. No example of sentences though. No pronunciation also. Not sure if there are other apps with these features. I didn't search much into that since it has serve us adequately so far.

I remember the besta has different ranges, think there is 1 that is $300 or so. Has same features as the highest range one but fewer languages for translation. You may want to find out more before u decide.

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jemlth » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:45 pm

ksme wrote:The app I have allows us to key in pinyin or chinese character to get english meaning or key in english word to get chinese characters. No example of sentences though. No pronunciation also. Not sure if there are other apps with these features. I didn't search much into that since it has serve us adequately so far.

I remember the besta has different ranges, think there is 1 that is $300 or so. Has same features as the highest range one but fewer languages for translation. You may want to find out more before u decide.

Hi there,
I think you will find the following websites quite helpful as well, esp for translation. They are a lot more current and up to date.

www.dict.cn
www.baidu.com

jemlth
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby PB » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:00 pm

jemlth wrote:
Hi there,
I think you will find the following websites quite helpful as well, esp for translation. They are a lot more current and up to date.

www.dict.cn
www.baidu.com

Thanks Jemlth. I'll check them out. :D

PB
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ksme » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:05 pm

jemlth wrote:
Hi there,

www.dict.cn
www.baidu.com

Hi jemlth,
Thanks for your recommendations. The websites you recommend are good. I shall supplement them to what we use now.

Thanks!

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby octopusmum » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:45 pm

HI jemlth

thks for giving us the links to the websites.
if we want to translate chinese to english, do we key in hanyu pinyin for both websites? i tried to key in hanyu pinyin for the dict.cn website but it didn't seem to work.
thks

octopusmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mum03 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:10 am

Hi just bought the Besta English to Chinese transalation Dictionary, for our Pri 1 DD. Was playing with it last night, and found it interesting and useful. Got it at Popular at $553, with a free input worth $199 of Chinese comprehension and oral chinese.
I hope it is a good investment, as it is so difficult (NON CHINESE) for me to teach my daughter on her spellings and strokes. Hope this will lessen my burden.

mum03
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support