Secondary Schools Information in West Area

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Good Secondary School in the West.

Postby shurley197323 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:47 am

Can anyone share. Beside RV, Nan Hua, SST, NUShigh,Bukit Panjang Govt High. Which sec school is better in the west area. My DD is always the top 5 in her school but we are not choosing "all Girls School". Also worried that SST and NUSHigh are too strees although these 2 are her dream schools.
Thinking about RV and Nanhua, but she don't like the Chinese culture and HMT. I really can't think about what others school which is near Jurong and which is at least Band 1 or Band 2. Although she got full marks for maths in her SA1 this time, also worried is she good enough or is just that the school had set a lower standard? Worried here, worried now......more stress than her :scratchhead:

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Good Secondary School in the West.

Postby koguma » Tue May 22, 2012 4:19 pm

shurley197323 wrote:Can anyone share. Beside RV, Nan Hua, SST, NUShigh,Bukit Panjang Govt High. Which sec school is better in the west area. My DD is always the top 5 in her school but we are not choosing "all Girls School". Also worried that SST and NUSHigh are too strees although these 2 are her dream schools.
Thinking about RV and Nanhua, but she don't like the Chinese culture and HMT. I really can't think about what others school which is near Jurong and which is at least Band 1 or Band 2. Although she got full marks for maths in her SA1 this time, also worried is she good enough or is just that the school had set a lower standard? Worried here, worried now......more stress than her :scratchhead:

Click here to find out which Band 1 and 2 schools are around your house >> http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/files ... nex-f1.pdf

You may want to consider Band 3 schools. If you notice, most Band 1 and 2 schools take in the better students (PSLE score> 240). Hence it is expected for their students to do well in O level. Some schools, on the other hand, take in students that get as low as 230, but still manage to squeeze into Band 3. To me, such schools are good as they value-added the students throughout the 4 years of study in the school.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Good Secondary School in the West.

Postby shurley197323 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Ok.Thanks.

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Secondary Schools Information in West Area

Postby kklau » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi all,

Would be very much appreciates that anyone can share some good information on following secondary schools in west area (example: personal experiences or relative/ friend’s recommendations, etc.):

1. Commonwealth Secondary School
2. Swiss Cottage Secondary School
3. Kranji Secondary School
4. Fuhua Secondary School
5. Bukit Batok Secondary School
6. West Spring Secondary School
7. Unity Secondary School
8. Chua Chu Kang Secondary School
9. Zhenghua Secondary School
10. Greenridge Secondary School

Thanks in advance. :salute:

kklau
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Secondary Schools Information in West Area

Postby BlurBerry » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:51 pm

kklau wrote:Hi all,

Would be very much appreciates that anyone can share some good information on following secondary schools in west area (example: personal experiences or relative/ friend’s recommendations, etc.):

1. Commonwealth Secondary School
2. Swiss Cottage Secondary School
3. Kranji Secondary School
4. Fuhua Secondary School
5. Bukit Batok Secondary School
6. West Spring Secondary School
7. Unity Secondary School
8. Chua Chu Kang Secondary School
9. Zhenghua Secondary School
10. Greenridge Secondary School

Thanks in advance. :salute:

Also in the same boat. Wondering abt these schools.

I brought my girl to the Swiss Cottage open house last week. Before going she was adamant to choose Swiss Cottage over Kranji, if can. This was based on some good comments fm others plus the fact that they've been producing good O level results. But after seeing the school, she was a bit disappointed. The school compound was not impressive and we weren't given the opportunity to look around the classroom blocks. Only restricted to the canteen and the immediate surrounding area. The open house was not that well organised. When I told my eldest son that, he said that we were bound to feel that way since we've been to those good school's open houses (ie. RV, Nan Hua, BPGH) and we wd tend to compare. Anyway I discussed with my girl and we concluded that school physical appearance aside, Swiss Cottage must be doing something right since their results are good and also the students we met were a happy and cheerful bunch.

Kranji is as good as Swiss in terms of O level results and is nearer to our home but my girl said she'd rather pick Swiss if can. I prefer Kranji - can save a bit on transport.

Unity is even nearer to our home but my girl doesn't want to go there because we've seen enough of students from there.

I hv a friend's daughter in Fuhua (O lvl next year), doing very well there. Teachers very encouraging. It is one of the best schools in Jurong West area.

My girl's classmate's sister is in Greenridge (Sec3 next yr). It must be good since the younger sibling is also wanting to go there.

I was joking with my kids that maybe we shd 'interview' some of these ppl we know to find out abt their school. We know students fm Swiss, Fuhua, BB, Unity, CCK, Greenridge, Hua Yi, Westwood, Clementi Town and New Town. For a while my son thought I was serious and he was horrified! Well, he shd know his mother better. I don't even dare to bargain with the fishmonger.

BlurBerry
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby buds » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:07 am

You didn't include Regent?

I was impressed with the news that the school, councillors and the teachers there accepted an ex-RGS student who was going through a rough time and was then undergoing a tumultuous teenage phase including a sense of belonging, peer influence, challenge with choice of friends amongst other things. But they never gave up on her. Being mostly left alone as the father had to work to support the family, Regent strived to get her back on the right track. The girl already got the chops coming from RGS and all. With support from everyone, the girl came out tops for 'O's that year.

Regent was very near where we stayed and I was telling hubs we could consider Regent as one of our choices when it's our DD's turn. They even offer Music at 'O's if child is musically inclined. But now we have shifted out, so it's time to re-look at our earlier options.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlurBerry » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:06 am

Regent didn't start off with a good reputation and with low COP. I didn't actually witness it but I heard ppl talking abt students behaving like gangsters etc. That was several years ago. Things seem to have changed in recent years.

I overheard one of my kid's primary school teacher talking to a parent. She has a girl in Regent (don't know what year). At first the parent said Regent not so good but the teacher said she is actually quite impressed with the school now. Apparently the school has improved since a new principal took over. She said that the principal makes it a point to get to know the students and to talk to them. And her girl is doing well there too (maybe the 'big fish in small pond' thing).

Guess it is hard to reverse ppl's view of the school so quickly.

My girl already said if her results are poor, she'd rather go to BPGH to do N(A).

BlurBerry
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby buds » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:34 am

BPGH is a good school no matter which stream a student gets assigned to. :D

No worries. All of us must have heard our own fair share of hearsays and would've seen our fair share of good or/bad of schools be it at any level. Eg. Pri, sec, jc (etc) and we form our opinions based on them. Ultimately, as growing teens our children can be comfortable in their school of choice... if they can get it. :xedfingers:

Btw, I believe in late bloomers as well. Some children just take a longer route or require a longer time getting there (highest achievable potential) but I am happy if mine can get there anyhow.

My cousin was in a neighbourhood sec sch in NA. She is now a graduate with a special faculty in NHG. My aunt was a teacher. She recognized that her (this) #4 had different capabilities but supported her emotionally, financially on top academically. Both mom n daughter nvr regretted taking a road less travelled.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kklau » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:10 am

BlurBerry wrote:Regent didn't start off with a good reputation and with low COP. I didn't actually witness it but I heard ppl talking abt students behaving like gangsters etc. That was several years ago. Things seem to have changed in recent years.

I overheard one of my kid's primary school teacher talking to a parent. She has a girl in Regent (don't know what year). At first the parent said Regent not so good but the teacher said she is actually quite impressed with the school now. Apparently the school has improved since a new principal took over. She said that the principal makes it a point to get to know the students and to talk to them. And her girl is doing well there too (maybe the 'big fish in small pond' thing).

Guess it is hard to reverse ppl's view of the school so quickly.

My girl already said if her results are poor, she'd rather go to BPGH to do N(A).

Many thanks to BlurBerry and buds.

We were at Swiss Cottage open house last week as well and same here not impressed with the school compound. The incoming new principal introduced himself as an art scholar (? Change of new focus?) and the talks followed by student leaders could have been well organised. But after the principal's talk we have a chat with few of Sec 3 students at CIP booth and we have found that they are very happy, confident and supporting the school activities. Guess this is very important factor to consider apart from their school past good O level results and Swiss Cottage is definitely one of a good choice.

Now the bigger problem is most of the mention schools open houses are only on coming Saturday 24-Nov morning (afternoon till 3pm for some schools) and certainly not possible to visit more than 2 schools in one day. BTW I’ve called BBSC and they are not holding any open house all this while and only with their school visit talks for P6 students.

Our challenge is how to maximize the given 6 choices as the last year COP numbers are just a guide and we have to find a good way to co-relate the COP with school past year GCE O level results band number? Not to mention some schools are without the band number published by MOE.

Really appreciate anyone here can share your good experiences, advise and relative/ friend’s recommendations, etc

Thanks again.

kklau
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby MioPio » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi

My kid is sec one now. I have no experience with IP schools so just from my selection experience from neighbourhood secondary schools. Personally I am glad that the school banding has been removed so that we can focus on the other more important factors when choosing secondary schools such as:

1) CCAs - which is very important in secondary schools. Your child must find something that he/she is keen on. Some secondary schools have a niche in certain areas eg. Chinese orchestra, Wushu, Bowling, Archery, Fencing, etc. and some schools have very special ccas, eg. Singapore Youth Flying Club in Hua Yi Sec Sch.

2) Special programmes that the secondary schoolss may have -
eg. drama in curriculum where the drama class is incorporated into English lessons helps improve students literacy skills. In Chinese orientated schs, they will have Chinese cultural appreciation programmes such as calligraphy classes. Some schools may have more sports and outdoor activities.

3) Facilities - ideal if the school has good ones, if not, I think children are very adaptable and they will adjust. What is more important is the school's culture, communication and discipline (some schools totally do not allow handphones to be brought to school), approachable Principal, supportive teachers, co-operative peers and the well structured programmes.

4) Distance from home to school - equally important because the hours spent in secondary schools are longer than in primary schools. Usually ccas finish at 5.00pm to 6.30pm depending on schs. If your child has to attend cca more than twice a week and take an hour to travel home, you can imagine how tired they are after school. Not forgetting they still have to complete their homework for the day. So you may want to check out the school reporting and dismissal time.

Do remember each child is unique and different. I believe a good school which is good for your friend's child may not be suitable for your own child.
We should select a school that meets most of the child's needs. When they are happy learning there, they will surely excel.

Cheers!

MioPio
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection