Chinese pupils lost out in PSLE MT Exam

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.

Chinese pupils lost out in PSLE MT Exam

Postby Truth Hurts » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:42 pm

Before I begin, please note I am not bashing FT here. Nor am I saying that our local MT teachers do not have the standard of our China born MT Teachers. I am merely stating my observation.

My observation
1) MOE has employed many Chinese MT teachers from China. When they invilgilate the oral exams and mark your child's scripts, their expectations are much higher. Thus making it harder for our local children to score well for Chinese MT. Is this fair for children taking Chinese MT?

2) Is the same process applied by MOE in recruiting FTs to teach Malay MT or Tamil? I don't think so.

Your views on the matter? Thanks

Truth Hurts
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:18 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Chinese pupils lost out in PSLE MT Exam

Postby wiimum » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:48 pm

I suspect there is another problem in the Chinese MT: the students who are originally from China or whose parents have become citizens , PR recently, these students would have higher standard in the Chinese language and this would affect the overall expectation of our students in the Chinese language.

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:27 pm
Total Likes: 3


Re: Chinese pupils lost out in PSLE MT Exam

Postby Sun_2010 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:00 pm

Truth Hurts wrote:Before I begin, please note I am not bashing FT here. Nor am I saying that our local MT teachers do not have the standard of our China born MT Teachers. I am merely stating my observation.

My observation
1) MOE has employed many Chinese MT teachers from China. When they invilgilate the oral exams and mark your child's scripts, their expectations are much higher. Thus making it harder for our local children to score well for Chinese MT. Is this fair for children taking Chinese MT?

2) Is the same process applied by MOE in recruiting FTs to teach Malay MT or Tamil? I don't think so.

Your views on the matter? Thanks


I have heard it happens for Tamil too.

And i would rather have teachers who have a very sound grounding in the intricacies of language teach my kids and give them a good foundation even if it means their PSLE MT marking is going to be tougher.
It is never marks over good command of subject. PSLE is not the destination.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4613
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:13 pm
Total Likes: 145


Re: Chinese pupils lost out in PSLE MT Exam

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:03 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:
Truth Hurts wrote:Before I begin, please note I am not bashing FT here. Nor am I saying that our local MT teachers do not have the standard of our China born MT Teachers. I am merely stating my observation.

My observation
1) MOE has employed many Chinese MT teachers from China. When they invilgilate the oral exams and mark your child's scripts, their expectations are much higher. Thus making it harder for our local children to score well for Chinese MT. Is this fair for children taking Chinese MT?

2) Is the same process applied by MOE in recruiting FTs to teach Malay MT or Tamil? I don't think so.

Your views on the matter? Thanks


I have heard it happens for Tamil too.

And i would rather have teachers who have a very sound grounding in the intricacies of language teach my kids and give them a good foundation even if it means their PSLE MT marking is going to be tougher.
It is never marks over good command of subject. PSLE is not the destination.


I agree

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 10963
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:47 am
Total Likes: 30


Re: Chinese pupils lost out in PSLE MT Exam

Postby Sun_2010 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:05 pm

wiimum wrote:I suspect there is another problem in the Chinese MT: the students who are originally from China or whose parents have become citizens , PR recently, these students would have higher standard in the Chinese language and this would affect the overall expectation of our students in the Chinese language.


Err.... would'nt these kids have a distinct disadvantage in English ?
If they dont and have managed mastered two languages , then they deserve the scores isnt it? I mean, isn't that what meritocracy is all about?

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4613
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:13 pm
Total Likes: 145



Re: Chinese pupils lost out in PSLE MT Exam

Postby Truth Hurts » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:19 pm

Let me clarify...no intent to bash our local teachers here nor FTs.

Imagine your child is tested by 2 Chinese MT teachers. 1) One is China-born and the other local. I can say the expectations are higher if he is to do well for his exam. 2) Another child who takes Malay MT is tested by local born Malay MT teachers. They are both marked according to the same rubrics for oral. All things being equal, I will really be worried for the Chinese pupil in this case.

My point is that our primary schools are being flooded by many China born MT teachers. This puts our local Chinese speaking pupils at a disadvantage because their T-score suffers. Maybe this is why so many foreign pupils are doing better for PSLE than our locals. Did MOE think about this before going on a recruitment drive for China Born MT teachers?

Truth Hurts
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:18 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Chinese pupils lost out in PSLE MT Exam

Postby Sad Person » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:59 pm

I think that it may be a little unfair...
but some china teachers are quiet kind....

Sad Person
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:26 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Chinese pupils lost out in PSLE MT Exam

Postby jtoh » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:09 pm

Are there a lot of teachers from China teaching in our schools? In all my dd's school life she's never had any mainland Chinese teachers. So does that put her at a significant disadvantage, bec she's taught by local teachers, tested by foreign teachers?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 91


Re: Chinese pupils lost out in PSLE MT Exam

Postby Peony » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:15 pm

Truth Hurts wrote:Let me clarify...no intent to bash our local teachers here nor FTs.

Imagine your child is tested by 2 Chinese MT teachers. 1) One is China-born and the other local. I can say the expectations are higher if he is to do well for his exam. 2) Another child who takes Malay MT is tested by local born Malay MT teachers. They are both marked according to the same rubrics for oral. All things being equal, I will really be worried for the Chinese pupil in this case.

My point is that our primary schools are being flooded by many China born MT teachers. This puts our local Chinese speaking pupils at a disadvantage because their T-score suffers. Maybe this is why so many foreign pupils are doing better for PSLE than our locals. Did MOE think about this before going on a recruitment drive for China Born MT teachers?


Just sharing a personal opinion...
Finally an advantage for taking Malay...
- no use for HMT score coz no Malay SAP sch
- not all schools offer Malay
- some schools exclude those taking Malay from the best class even if their scores are one of the highest (citing the fact that they cannot accommodate the one or two who make the grade)

Just a thought...

Peony
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 420
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:46 am
Total Likes: 4


Re: Chinese pupils lost out in PSLE MT Exam

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:48 pm

Truth Hurts wrote:Let me clarify...no intent to bash our local teachers here nor FTs.

Imagine your child is tested by 2 Chinese MT teachers. 1) One is China-born and the other local. I can say the expectations are higher if he is to do well for his exam. 2) Another child who takes Malay MT is tested by local born Malay MT teachers. They are both marked according to the same rubrics for oral. All things being equal, I will really be worried for the Chinese pupil in this case.

My point is that our primary schools are being flooded by many China born MT teachers. This puts our local Chinese speaking pupils at a disadvantage because their T-score suffers. Maybe this is why so many foreign pupils are doing better for PSLE than our locals. Did MOE think about this before going on a recruitment drive for China Born MT teachers?


Errrrrr...... brush up on Chi lor.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 10963
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:47 am
Total Likes: 30


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Selection